The Battle of Monsters


Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters (audio book)
I have to say I am really enjoying the series and listening to the books at work is a nice distraction when having to type.

Riordan’s world keeps getting better and for a second book it better than the first. The pace is cracking and the adventures keep coming, making this an engaging read (or should I say listen).
Percy continues to develop as a character and becomes more interested in the people around him and begins to question who and what he is. The good thing is that Riordan does not allow Percy to dwell on these issues but gives you a good idea of what is going on. He learns to appreciate the help others can provide and he begins to understand what family is about.  

The overall story arch progress is great and while you can read each book as a stand-alone it does help to read the series. 
Again the down for me with this is the reading of the book. Some of the characterisations are really bad, I mean why make Tyson sound like a complete dumb witted imbecile! Then there was Clarice if I thought her voicing was not flash in the first book, in this one she is just an angry voice all the time. It becomes tiring listening to Clarice, Tyson, Grover and Anna-Beth as they are a really cliché and just have no light and shade to them.  Bernstein’s reading does detract for me as some of his voice characterisations just do not hit the mark. 

I have the third and fourth book on audio and I will listen to them because I like the stories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A world without Marie Curie is it possible?

Family perfection awry

The truth is false or is it?