Queen or ruler of Egypt?

The Search for Nefertiti by Joann Fletcher
Paperback, 464 pages, Published August 1st 2005 by Hodder Paperbacks 

I first come to meet Joann Fletcher and her passion for all things Egypt through a couple of documentaries so I was pleased to come across this book. It is an interesting read and to me came across as part autobiography and historical exploration. There is some downside and upside to this.

It did take some time to get into this book as for the first couple of chapters Fletcher meanders between telling her life story and the history of Egypt. It is not until the halfway mark that Fletcher really finds her groove. As she explores, explains and provides a readable and highly engaging journey through Egyptian history.

I am what one would consider an armchair historian, I read, query and appreciate what is being is presented. I can not tell you if Fletcher's conclusion as to whether Nefertiti survived Akhenaten and took the throne. it is plausible as any of the other theories that are out there. As Fletcher points out the influence and role of women has been diminished and overlooked. I know Fletcher's theory was not well appreciated by other historians and I can understand why.

This is a good read and a good in depth introduction to the myth that Nefertiti has become.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A world without Marie Curie is it possible?

Family perfection awry

The truth is false or is it?