The Book Club Catch Up

The Handmaid's Tale 

Margaret Atwood

479 pages, Paperback First published January 1, 1985

You know there has been a myriad of reviews, dissections, discussion, and ruminations on a novel that was written in 1985 and still (unfortunately) relevant in 2024. There remains, the same tensions as to the rights of a woman to participate in the workforce and make decisions about her own future.

Apart from the themes what always strikes me is Atwood’s writing. How she ever so cleverly engages you into the story. How as you are exposed to the characters you learn more about their history and motivations.

I have not wanted to read this book for the longest time because I knew the content. I am glad I finally took the plunge and further appreciated the magnificence of Atwood’s writing. For there is a masterclass in writing here. The way in which Atwood slowly brings out the reality of the world and the contradictions that are the heart of it all.

It is a deeply unsettling read, and it is why you should read it.

Book Club

The theme was childhood favourites and the two books read were Philip Pulman's Northern Lights and Enid Blyton's The Magic Faraway Tree. Having read both books previously, no review for these. 


Love and Human Remains - Brad Fraser 

A theatre script, turned into a movie about a group of people, who are all trying to be relevant. I like the script as it is about messy people, but I do wonder if it would work if staged now. On that point I am not sure.

The script is in your face, with sex and violence a plenty but I found the characters, on paper at least, somewhat superficial. There is a lot to challenge the viewer and reader of this script. Kudos to the actors who bring them alive. 

As I read the script, I realised that I had seen the movie adaptation. So obviously it had left an imprint on me. What stuck was the characterisation of the romance between the two women, it really did not sit well with me, as I found it to be disingenuous in application. I understood the intent of the relationship, but I felt it was a tad stereotypical. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been some time

Paranormal murder done by a master of the genre

Elliot is the best arsehole ever!