Surreal Poetic Magic

Orlam 

PJ Harvey 

301 pages, Hardcover, First published January 1, 2022  

Orlam, is a poetic story told over thirteen months of nine-year-old Ira-Abel Rawles, who lives on Hook Farm in the village of UNDERWHELEM.  

There are two poems in the book, on the left hand side is the English version and on the right hand side the Dorset version. Now I have no comprehension of the Dorset dialect, so I did some research and was able to somewhat get the gift of the gab. I read both versions out loud, the Dorset version first, as I wanted to try and capture rhythm of the text and then I would read the English translation. It really did help me to appreciate the words, the imagery and the story.  

The words are beautiful, the imagery of farm life and the people is stark and raw, with mythology and supernatural elements mixed in, in a way, explaining the brutality and the beauty. There are moments of humour and lightness. Harvey explains at the bottom of the poems, the significance and meaning of the superstitions.  

I was immersed in the poetry and just allowed myself to be carried away. It is simply a wonderful piece of writing that takes you into a new world.  

For more on the artist PJ Harvey, check out the website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A world without Marie Curie is it possible?

Family perfection awry

The truth is false or is it?